Saturday 17 March 2012

Instant Pongal (Khichdi) Mix



Pongal or khichdi as I had posted earlier is a one pot nutritious meal. My aunts recipe for this is a certain favourite for all my single and working friends now. Here is the recipe for the mix.
INSTANT PONGAL MIX:Though this simple dish is easy to make , this mix makes it easier. literally gets ready in 10 minutes time. 
Ingredients:


2 cups rice
1cup mung dal
1 1/2 cups grated dry copra
5 tbsp ghee ( clarified butter)
1 tsp Chana dal 
1 tsp Urad dal
1/4 cup cashew nuts
1 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
1tsp  cumin seeds
1 tsp black pepper 
3 dry red chillies (broken into pieces)
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 cloves 
a sprig of curry leaves 
a tbsp of coriander leaves
a pinch of hing (asafoetida)  and 
Salt to taste


Method :
In a little ghee fry till the mungdal is red and then add rice slowly keep frying till the rice starts turning whitish. keep it aside . In a deep bottom pan pour the rest of the ghee ,Add mustard seeds and let it splutter . Add the cashew nuts and fry till they are golden brown. Slowly add cumin, pepper,chana dal, urad dal, asafoetida (hing), Red chillies, cloves , curry leaves and coriander. Saute till the fresh leaves like coriander dehydrate in the heat 
of the pan and oil. Add salt to taste. Into this pour the above rice and dry copra. Mix well on heat and then let it cool.


Store and use as and when required.


This mixture can be stored in refrigerator for more than 6 months. When you want to use.. Pour one cup of this mixture with 3 cups of water in a pressure cooker and one whistle should be enough to get quick and tasty Pongal.


Yum indeed. 

7 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

This really looks delicious. I am new to your blog, so I spent some time browsing through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. You've created a great spot to visit and I really enjoy the time I spent here.'ll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Sandhya said...

This is really easy to make. Will surely try. Thanks for sharing the instant mix recipe.

Mary Bergfeld said...

It sounds like this is a wonderful staple to have on hand. This is my first visit to your blog, so I took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll be back. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Bhavana Rao said...

Will surely make this...wonderful idea.. :)

http://mykitchenfantasies.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hi, Thankyou very much for the recipe. I made this for my hubby dear bfor I left to India, I'm back in US and I was surprised to see that just 1 cup of the mixture was left. Please do post more recipes like this.

Thankyou,
Chitra

Anonymous said...

wow didnt know that we can.make ready made kichdi!! kichdi is one of my fav soulfood.will make..

Anonymous said...

chaitra