Trifle is a dessert dish made from thick (or often solidified) custard, fruit, sponge cake, fruit juice or gelatin, and whipped cream. These ingredients are usually arranged in layers with fruit and sponge on the bottom, and custard and cream on top. This is exact copy from wikipedia . Well cannot write any other ways either it is exactly so. Best part about this dessert is it have have anything as a layer and taste good always. I made this yesterday for my older one's birthday and most kids asked me if I could make it for their Birthdays as well. I take it that it was a big hit with kids.
Basically Trifle is all about layering all the tasty stuff together.
Sponge Cake : Bake simple vanilla sponge cake or buy about 250 gms.
Jelly : I used WEIKFIELD Jelly Mix. Banana and Strawberry flavours. This pack has two pouches. Mix them in dry bowl and add half litre of boiling water . Mix well till the crystals dissolve and then let it to set.
Custard : I used Brown and Polson. Dissolve about 4 heaps of custard powder in cold water make a paste without lumps. Boil a Litre of milk with three spoons of sugar and add this paste and cook for about five minutes. Let it set into a thick paste.
Cream: The best way is to used whipped cream. Since i didn't have it I just replaced it with vanilla ice cream which i whipped with spoon. It just looked (tasted as well) fine.
Fruits : Usual English trifle has Raspberries or Strawberries . I used some tutti frutti, cherries, apples and grapes for decoration.
You can use the Can of preserved fruits instead. Pineapple is great with the sponge cake.
The layers begin with Sponge cake.
1.Cut the sponge cake into one inch thick slices.
arrange them as the base layer of the trifle.
2.Prepare the jelly. Pour the hot jelly on the sponge cakes and let it set for some time.
3. Prepare the custard and let it set. Meanwhile cut the fruits to decorate ( or to add as a layer in between the cream and custard)
4. Once the Spongecake soaks up the jelly and it is set the next layer can be place. By now the custard also would be ready to be poured as a layer.
5. Now you can either add a fruit layer or a layer of crumbled biscuits according to your taste or a layer of jelly if you are very fond of jelly.
6. The final layer is the thick whipped cream
7. Decorate your Trifle with fruits of your choice and the set jelly. Add a dash of strawberry syrup if you like
8. Let it set well in the refrigerator for a couple of hours and serve chilled.